The market town of Richmond - from the Norman French 'riche-monte' meaning 'strong hill' - grew up around the Norman Castle which still dominates the town today.
The building of the castle as a military stronghold commenced in 1071 on land gifted to Alan Rufus (the Red) of Brittany by his kinsman William the Conqueror as reward for his part in the victory over King Harold, and his subsequent support of William as one of his most trusted advisers.
More information about our Richmond, in North Yorkshire can be found in the Richmond Online Guide to Richmond.
Special thanks to Jennifer Gilby for her research and for providing information for this page.
The first Richmond. The market town of Richmond - from the Norman French 'riche-monte' meaning 'strong hill' - grew up around the Norman Castle (1071). A beautiful town, steeped in history, which has inspired poets and painters, past and present.
The second Richmond. Richmond is a town in south west London, England, 8.2 miles west-southwest of Charing Cross. Historically part of Surrey, it is now part of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Henry VII named Richmond after his favourite Earldom, Richmond in Yorkshire.
Richmond was a ‘suburb’ of Tombstone, itself now a ghost town, and is located about 1 mile south of the Tombstone courthouse. Only some foundations and adobe wall remnants remain.
The earliest inhabitants of Richmond were the Ohlone Indians, settling here an estimated 5,000 years ago. Distinct and separate groups of a few hundred individuals lived a stable and peaceful existence, with a culture based on strong community ties, spiritualism, and rich artistic creativity. The Ohlone were hunters and gatherers and built extensive shellmounds along the Bay. With the coming of the Europeans the Ohlone way of life gradually came to an end and was destroyed.
The first Europeans to visit the city's future site were the Spanish explorers Pedro Fages and Reverend Juan Crespi who passed through the East Bay in 1772. After Mexico won independence from Spain in 1821, large tracts of land in California were granted to military heroes and loyalists. In 1823, Don Francisco Castro was given 17,000 acres of land in Contra Costa which became known as Rancho San Pablo. The city of Richmond was established on a portion of Castro's land grant about seventy years after his death
The district takes its name from the first home in the area called The Richmond House, built by George Marsh, a dealer in Asian Art who created the Japanese Tea Garden for the 1894 Mid Winter Fair in Golden Gate Park. The house was named after his birthplace in Australia, which itself was named after their ancestral home & castle in England.
Many thanks to Christopher Drake from San Francisco
Richmond, IL was founded in 1844 and received it's name from Isaac Reed, who named the village after his childhood home, Richmond, Vermont. The old mill stood on a hill, which might have shared a similarity with the original Richmond in that the mill stood on the 'strong hill'. Population is about 1,016. There are still quite a number of old Queen Ann mansions and some have been converted into Bed and Breakfasts. Richmond lies almost at the Wisconsin border and is near Antioch Illinois.
Founded in 1806 by North Carolina Quakers, who settled along the Whitewater River, Richmond is in eastern Indiana near the Ohio border. The first settlers were John Smith and Jeremiah Cox. Smith named his settlement Smithville and Cox followed suit by calling his Jericho. However the other settlers did not take to either name and agreed on Richmond, proposed by settler David Hoover, as an alternative. The town was incorporated in 1818 and became the county seat of Wayne County in 1873.
Richmond served as a trade centre for travelers for many years, as well as being involved in agriculture and manufacturing. It also has the second oldest newspaper in the state, the Richmond Palladium. Richmond has been nicknamed ‘the cradle of recorded jazz’, ‘the lawnmower capital’ and ‘the rose city’ at various times in its history, reflecting some of the industries in the town. Today Richmond is known for music, arts and historic architecture and is home to around 40,000 people.
The town was laid out in 1849 in the southern part of the Scott Township. Its only building was a post office named Amazon (1850-1851).
English River Township - Unincorporated Populated Place
Richmond originated in the Berea settlement, established in 1857. The town itself was laid out as a railroad town in 1870 and Berea ceased to exist the same year. It was named after John C Richmond, an early settler from Ottawa who provided land for the railroad.
It is located in the Kansas City metro area and has a population of around 500.
This town has no remains, but is reputedly a good place to hunt using metal detectors.
Once a way-station about three miles north of Seneca on the Oregon Trail, along the South Fork of the Nemaha River. It was an important stopping point along the road, but died when traffic later rerouted through Seneca.
Founded in 1798 by Colonel John Miller, a Revolutionary War soldier. The Madison County seat was moved to the town in March 1978 (to bitter opposition) and it was named Richmond on July 4 in honour of Miller’s birthplace of Richmond, Virginia.
The city is on the southern boundary of the Commonwealth’s Bluegrass region and has a population of around 30,000. It contains more than 100 National Register Historic Places and three Historic Districts.
The area that later became Richmond (and nearby town Gardiner) was bought from the Indians in 1649 by Christopher Lawson and was one of the earliest settlements in Maine. Fort Richmond provided protection for the town from 1719 until 1755, when the forts Shirley, Western and Halifax were built further along the river. Indians attacked it twice, in 1722 and 1750.
What is now Richmond was part of Bowdoinham when it was incorporated in 1762. Richmond was incorporated in its own right on Feb 10 1823. Today it has a population of around 3,000.
Richmond was incoporated in 1765 and named after Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond. It is primarily an agricultural community and residential town, with many of the occupants commuting to nearby Pittsfield or having second homes in the area.
The area was settled in 1835 by Erastus Beebe, with his two brothers and several men from Richmond, Ontario County, New York and originally named Beebe’s Corners. In five years the town was established and on 1 December 1859 the Grand Trunk Railway arrived. The town continued to flourish, ultimately joining forces with neighbouring towns Ridgeway and Cooper Town in 1878. The surrounding township had already been named Richmond in 1838 by settler Philip Cudworth, after the town the men had come from, and the combined town was incorporated as Richmond the following year.
The city is mostly in Macomb County with a small part in St Clair and has a population of around 5,000.
The 'Gateway to the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes' was founded in 1856 and settled mostly by German immigrants. It was named after Cynthia Richmond, the wife of early settler and surveyor Reuben Richardson.
The community is based around agriculture and the recreational opportunities provided by the lakes (more than 40 within 10 miles) and has around 1000 residents.
The first settlers came from Virginia and named the town after the capital. It was already extinct many years before 1928.
Richmond is located in Western MO. just 7 Miles North of the Missouri River and 45 miles east of Kansas City MO. We are a rural community of 6116 residents. We claim to be the Morel Mushroom Capital of the World. Our festival, welcoming the coming of Spring, is held the first weekend of May each year for 25 years.
Come and enjoy the Richmond MO hospitality or better yet, come and be a part of Richmond and its very positive future.
The town’s first charter dates to 1735 when Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher granted it to soldiers returning from the war in Canada and it was named Sylvester-Canada. It was originally part of Massachusetts. New Hampshire ultimately became a separate province and the town was renamed Richmond and incoporated in 1752 by Governor Benning Wentworth. He named it after Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond, a good friend of his.
Staten Island originally became the County of Richmond (along with Shooter’s Island, and the islands of meadow on the west side of Staten Island) when it became part of the colony of New York on November 1, 1683. Richmond Town’s central location linked the wide-spread farms of the Island and in the 1700s it became the government centre of the county. The town prospered in the early 1800s, but by the end of the century growth had slowed. In 1898 Staten Island became a borough of New York City and the government moved elsewhere.
Richmond Town then became the focus of historical preservation. The Staten Island Historical Society set out to preserve the declining town as a museum village. 'Historic Richmond Town' is now a museum and living history complex.
The area was first settled around 1790 by Captain Pitts and James Codding. The town was established in 1796 as Pittstown, but was renamed Honeoye in 1808. In 1815, the name was changed to Richmond.
Richmond is one of the foremost farming towns in the county and encompasses a number of small villages, of which Honeoye is the largest. Others include Richmond Center, Allen's Hill, Richmond Mills, and Dennisons' Corners.
Richmond is a small village in Jefferson County. The land was bought by Joseph and Mary Talbott in 1808 and they arranged for it to be surveyed. By 1815 Main Street and four cross streets named Green, High, Walnut & Sugar had been laid out and the plots were then sold off.
The reason for the name Richmond is uncertain. Most likely it was named after Richmond, Virginia, but it may also have been after the Presbyterian Society Richmond Church which stood outside the town, or for a Richard Richmond who once worked for Mr Talbott. Descendants of the Talbott family still live in the village.
Ohio also has towns named New Richmond (Clermont County) and Richmond Heights (Cuyahoga County).
Richmond is a community located in Woodward County. There appears to be little or no development in the area.
Richmond was formed in 1890 by a group of ranchers and farmers as a way to reduce the distance they had to travel to get supplies. It was named after the capital of the Confederacy. However, after around 30 years the availability of automobiles rendered its existence unnecessary as people could travel easily to larger towns nearby. Today Richmond is a ghost town.
The area began existence as Narragansett County or Little Narragansett, after the indigenous people who lived there. Difficulty arose in the 1660s when it was claimed by Connecticut, Rhode Island (under two different charters) and a colony from Massachusetts. The King settled this in 1665 by dissolving all previous charters and making the area King’s County – now Washington County. The town became called Westerly. Charlestown split off as a separate town in 1738 and Richmond divided from Charlestown in 1747.
Richmond has always been rural and agricultural in nature, although since Interstate 95 was built many of the residents now work outside the town.
Although the first settlers came in 1822, the town was established by Robert Eden Handy and William Lusk in 1837 and named after Richmond, North Yorkshire. It was the first city incorporated by the Republic of Texas, briefly a country in its own right. In December that year it became the seat of government for Fort Bend County.
The population remained fairly static during most of its existence until commuters to Houston moved in after the 1950s. Richmond is considered the twin city of Rosenburg, as the cities’ boundaries coincide.
The original settlers in Richmond arrived in 1859, the first being Agrippa Cooper and his family. The actual townsite was laid out in 1861 and it was incorporated as a city in 1868.
It is not known why the town was called Richmond. It may have been named after Richmond, Virginia, or the LDS Church apostle Charles C Rich or the deep rich mound of soil formed by the Cherry and City Creeks.
Richmond is located in the western foothills of the Green Mountains on the eastern edge of the Lake Champlain valley. The Winooski River bisects the town of 4,090 residents from east to west, as does Interstate 89, the New England Central Railway and U.S. Route 2. The Town was organized in 1795 and is recognized for being home to the National Historic Landmark Old Round Church, a 16-sided church built in 1813, considered to be among one of the first community churches in the country.
The Third Richmond - Captain Christopher Newport first led English explorers in 1607 to the site (later named Richmond by William Byrd II in 1737 after the suburb of London, England)
Until this time, Indian tribes of the Powhatan Confederacy had inhabited the area. After two unsuccessful attempts to settle this naturally advantaged location for transportation and trade, settlers enjoyed a change of luck. By 1644, the construction of Fort Charles began attracting many new settlers. Soon, the community grew into a popular trading post for furs, hides and tobacco.
The town was created on 25 Jan 1856 and has a population of around 2,000
Actually 'New Richmond'. Founded in 1858 and previously known as 'Cold Springs'.
The town was founded on Jan 12 1841. The first settlers were Thomas James, Perry James and Robert Sherman, who came from Richmond, Washington County, Rhode Island.
Richmond was incorporated as a municipality November 10, 1879. Richmond was designated as a City on December 3, 1990. Richmond is a suburb of Vancouver. With a population of over 181,942 people, Richmond is a growing dynamic urban centre with a unique mix of residential, and commercial property, agricultural lands, industrial parks, waterways and natural areas. It lies where the River meets the ocean. The shores surrounding Richmond create an estuary border that provides habitat for fish and for migrating birds on the Pacific Flyway between the Arctic and South America.
Richmond has undergone enormous change over the last several decades, with significant growth in the early 1990's. Today, Richmond is a dynamic, multi-ethnic community. Much of the recent population growth has been made up of Asian immigrants. People of Chinese or South Asian ancestry now represent nearly sixty percent of Richmond residents. Newcomers have contributed significantly to the growth of the small business and retail sectors and have added to the diversity and vibrancy of the City of Richmond.
Richmond is a small village in southeastern Ontario.
Richmond was selected by the British Army in 1818 as the site for the area’s first military settlement. Named after the Duke of Richmond, who was the newly appointed Governor General of Upper Canada, the village of Richmond was laid out in a grid on the north bank of the Jock River (which for a while was renamed the Goodwood after the Duke’s English estate). Richmond was the centre for the administration of lands in the area. Military supervisor, Major Burke, placed mainly Irish soldiers of his 99th Regiment in Goulbourn. Scottish settlers from Perthshire were placed in the adjoining area of northeast Beckwith, while Irish civilians were settled in southeast Beckwith, Goulbourn, and parts of neighbouring townships.
Named after the 4th Duke of Richmond, who died in Richmond, Quebec and was buried there in 1819.
Richmond is a small village in the west part of Prince Edward Island. It was incorporated in 1979 and has a population of a few hundred people. It is famed for the Richmond Dairy Bar.
Richmond was given its name by Governor Phillip in 1789, in honour of the Duke of Richmond. It is one of the five original Macquarie towns in the Hawkesbury Valley and is situated on a ridge above the Hawkesbury river to avoid the regular flooding.
Richmond's main businesses are agriculture and aviation. It is located on the outskirts of the Sydney area.
Situated in north west Queensland on the bank of the Flinders River, the longest river in Queensland.
Historic Richmond, a unique Georgian Village which boasts the oldest Roman Catholic Church. Richmond's most famous landmark is the Richmond Bridge, built in 1823 to 1825, around the time of the town's first settlement. It is Australia's oldest bridge still in use.
One of Melbourne's first settlements, now 'based around food and fashion'. It is one of the inner eastern suburbs and has attracted many immigrants throughout its history. Richmond was named after Richmond Hill, London, with its outlook of the river bend (Yarra).
Many thanks to Geoffrey Tobin, Austrailia
Officially named Richmond in October, 1845 in honour of the Duke of Richmond
There are reportedly four Richmonds in Jamaica - whilst there is Richmond Hill, and Richmond Crescent, and Richmond Drive - we could only find one!
There are reported to be two Richmonds in Grenda - we've only found this one, but there is a Richmond Hill in the South of the Island
It's listed, but there's not much there!
The first settlers were surveyors T.J.Thompson and J.W.Barnicoat in June 1842. It was named Richmond in 1846, on the suggestion of George Snow - one of the early residents who came from Richmond Upon Thames, Surrey.
Nelson is New Zealand's top holiday spot, with the highest number of sunshine hours anywhere on both islands. Richmond is a small town, about 15 minutes from Nelson City and is surrounded by beaches, farmland and the Mount Richmond State Forest Park. It is 30 mins from the Abel Tasman National Park.
Considered opinon says there are 57 Richmonds of the world - so far we have documented only 48. If you have any information about any other Richmonds please let us know.
Richmond, North Yorkshire was the first town to be called Richmond. It is the Mother of all Richmonds.
The second was Richmond, Surrey - in 1485 Henry VII held the title of Earl of Richmond - he re-named his royal palace at Sheen.
Richmond, Virginia USA is the third.
This project was initiated in 2000 by Richmond Online with help from Richmnond Town Council - these things take time ;-)